There are many reasons to improve your diet, and increasing your fertility is one of them. This article details food for men that can assist in boosting their reproductive systems and overall male fertility.
Main reasons for improving diet for fertility reasons include:
- Protect and encourage healthy DNA – your child will inherit half of your DNA, so you want your diet to be the best it can be or risk passing deficiencies and chemical pollution on to the child potentially causing issues at birth or later in their life.
- Promote healthy sperm – it takes 90 days (3 months) for sperm to be produced. By changing and sustaining your eating habits at least 3 months before trying to conceive with a partner you guarantee higher rates of success.
- Eating better will have you feeling and operating better in general.
The Good Stuff
Oysters – Zinc deficiencies are one of the largest causes of male infertility. Oysters are rich in Zinc and will improve sperm production.
Prawns – *Selenium is another important mineral that men need for their fertility. Prawns are full of selenium as well as zinc and Omega-3 fatty acids， all of which will increase sperm production， improve sperm motility and boost blood circulation.
*Men lose selenium in their semen and a deficiency in selenium is linked with low sperm counts，poor motility and morphology. Don’t know what this means？ Check out our article on sperm quality.
Salmon – Salmon provides the body with very important Omega-3 fatty acids which increases sperm count and boosts blood flow to the genitals.
Red Wine – Red wine has plenty of antioxidants （which come from the grape skin， hence why white wine has none）， two of which are very useful for male fertility quercetin and resveratrol. These antioxidants both prevents and slows down damage to sperm cells by free radicals in the body.
Dark Chocolate – Dark chocolate， in moderation， has a very special amino acid and several antioxidants which are proven to double sperm and semen volume and fight toxins that are related to infertility.
Eggs – Eggs have co-enzyme Q10 （CoQ10）which is an antioxidant that fights sperm cell damage and increases sperm motility.
Garlic – Garlic contains allicin and selenium which will improve blood flow to the genitals， protects sperm from damage and improves sperm motility.
Chives – Chives in Chinese Medicine are very good for nourishing the kidneys which is the center for male reproduction. A common diagnosis for male infertility is a kidney-yang deficiency， which is something chives are great at reversing.
Fresh vegetables， especially broccoli， red capsicum，spinach，cauliflower，kale，sweet potato and carrots：
Vegetables，especially fresh ones， are dense in vitamins. For male fertility vitamins A and C are the most useful as a deficiency in Vitamin A has been scientifically linked with slower sperm， and Vitamin C fights free radicals，protects sperm from damage， increases sperm volume and motility. All the above mentioned vegetables contain lots of vitamins A and/or C.
Bananas – Bananas also contain vitamins A， C and B1 but it also has the enzyme Bromelain which increase male libido and regulates the male sex hormones.
Strawberries – Strawberries have the mix of CoQ10 and Vitamin C meaning that they fight free radicals， protect sperm from damage， increase sperm motility and sperm volume.
Watermelon – Watermelon is a very unique and powerful fruit as it contains vitamins A and C, as well as selenium and Zinc, making it one of the ultimate male fertility boosters. Watermelon helps relax blood vessels, improving blood circulation and sperm count.
Walnuts and Pumpkin Seeds – Walnuts are a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids which increase sperm count and blood flow to the genitals.
All these foods will make a big difference on the male reproductive system, but it might not solve everything. It is always good to check with your GP or TCM therapist about other options as well. You can always book your next acupuncture appointment with us by calling 07 3162 6888 or email us at email@example.com
Need inspiration on how to incorporate these foods into your diet? Here are 3 recipes for you！
Omelet with Chives
- Crack eggs into a bowl, season and whisk well.
- Pour mixture into oiled fry pan. Run spatula through egg mixture to scramble eggs or leave alone for an omelette.
- Sprinkle cut chives across the surface of the eggs as it cooks. Flip or fold your omelette over and then serve！
- Prepare prawns by peeling and de-veining. Cook in oiled pan or wok until turned pink and then remove from pan.
- Add garlic and your choice of vegetables to cook in the wok. Good choices include onion， broccoli， peas and red capsicum.
- Finish by returning the prawns to the pan and heating through. Sprinkle chives to serve.
- Melt some 70% or darker chocolate slowly over boiling water， or in microwave in 20 second intervals.
- Once melted remove from heat and dip strawberries into the chocolate， either by gripping the tops of by using skewers. Enjoy！
Let us know how you go！